Concrete Pavers: Face Mix vs. Standard Mix

Concrete Pavers: Face Mix vs. Standard Mix

When it comes to concrete pavers, there can be some fading of the top surface over time due to normal wear-and-tear along with exposure to the elements. There are a few options to consider to ensure your concrete paver patio, walkway or driveway will look as new as possible for years to come, but it depends on the type of paver.

Standard Mix

Standard mix pavers are made up of a coarse aggregate base, and that base is found throughout the paver. Over time standard mix pavers can lose color on the surface exposing the base aggregate. The best way you can help your standard concrete pavers last a long time is to seal them when they are installed and then continue to seal them approximately every three years, depending on wear and exposure to weather.

Face Mix

Face mix pavers are made of about 90% coarse aggregate base, with the remaining 10% being a special top surface which is composed of finer aggregate and richer color. Face mix gives a nice, tight surface that resists wear better than standard mix pavers while being equal in strength to standard mix. Face mix pavers don’t need to be sealed, although they can be if you choose.

There are differences between the two types of concrete pavers and there are advantages to both. Standard mix pavers are slightly less expensive, but there are additional costs to consider if you plan to regularly seal them to maintain their appearance. Face mix pavers are more expensive up front, but less expensive down the line, as they don’t require regular sealing to continue looking new for a long time.

It’s important to choose the type that is right for you, your project, and your budget. Lurvey stocks a wide variety of concrete pavers, and we are available to answer any questions you may have so you can make the right choice for your project.


Share this article

Related Articles